Information for Non-Canadians

All non-Canadian residents wishing to study in Quebec for more than six months must be authorized to do so by Quebec’s Ministère des Relations avec les citoyens et de l’Immigration.  This authorization is given in the form of a Quebec Certificate of Acceptance (C.A.Q.).  This certificate must be obtained before Citizenship and Immigration Canada can issue a Study Permit.  School age children (except those in kindergarten) also require C.A.Q.s and Study Permits. Authorization can be obtained only for full-time studies at a recognized teaching establishment.  A C.A.Q. is valid only for the establishment for which it is issued.  Therefore, it is necessary to have received your notice of admission from the school before proceeding in applying for a C.A.Q.. In addition, you must prove that your financial needs will be taken care of  while you are here. An official letter from your mission agency or bank is sufficient.  You will need two original copies.  After filling out the application form, if you are an American, send it and all the necessary papers to the Quebec Immigration Office in Sherbrooke.  If you are from outside the U.S., send your papers to the Quebec Immigration Office nearest you.

A person holding a C.A.Q. cannot work for remuneration, except as part of his study program.  Since foreign students are not covered by Quebec’s health insurance plan, they must take out private insurance. 

Steps to follow to obtain a Study Permit

  1. It is possible to obtain information, including the necessary forms to apply for a C.A.Q., at the  (N.B. if you are not able to access this website, please contact us and we will be happy to send you the required documents.)

    Please be sure to identify which option applies to you (pages 3 and 4) and follow all of the instructions that are indicated for that option as well as the general instructions.

    Sometimes applicants want the staff at Parole de Vie Béthel to check on their file with Quebec Immigration. Due to Canadian privacy laws, the only way this can be done is for you to fill out an authorization form for each applicant. This authorization form is available as a PDF document at

    Go to Step 2, towards the bottom where is says “IMPORTANT’. Click on the link Authorization to release personal information, print and fill out one copy for each member of your family who is applying. Under part 2, for the name write “Bricault-Plante, Mariette – Parole de Vie Béthel. For the Address write “1175 ch. Thomas-Woodward, Sherbrooke, QC J1M 0B4”. Be sure to include the appropriate form with each of your applications. Experience shows that this can be very important.

  2. Since a Study Permit from the Canadian government is also required, please consult the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website for more information. 

    • American citizens can obtain their student visas at the border.  When entering Canada, they must present the following: passport, Certificate of Acceptance to Quebec, a letter of acceptance from Parole de Vie, letters of acceptance from the schools where their children will be studying, proof of financial support for their stay in Canada and the required fees.
    • If you do not have a Certificate of Acceptance for Quebec (CAQ) when you arrive at the border, you may be refused entry to Canada.  If that happens, you can enter Canada with a visitor's permit but will have to return to the border a second time to obtain your student visa once you have received your CAQ.
    • Other foreign students not from the United States normally have to apply for their Study Permit from within their own country of citizenship. Please note that this means that you should check the box next to "Port of Entry" for question #11 on the Application for a Quebec Acceptance Certificate.

If you come from a country other than the United States, you must go to the Canadian embassy in your country to obtain your student visa.  All documents must be in order before doing so.

If within one week of your planned arrival at Word of Life Bethel you have still not received your CAQ, please contact the school and we will advise you as how to proceed. It may be better to delay your arrival by a couple of days than to arrive at the border without your CAQ.